Paying more affordable rates for insurance can seem to be nearly impossible for drivers not familiar with comparison shopping online. With more and more online companies available, it can be a burden to find better prices on insurance.
Unbelievable but true according to a study most drivers in Virginia kept buying from the same company for at least four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never compared rates with other companies. Most drivers in the U.S. could save an average of 46.5% each year just by shopping around, but they just feel it's too hard to compare rate quotes.
If you are already insured, you should be able to find the best rates using the ideas covered in this article. Finding quotes for the best coverage in Alexandria is easy if you know what you're doing. Although Virginia car owners need to learn how big insurance companies price online insurance and use it to your advantage.
To find low cost prices, there are a couple of ways to compare rate quotes from local Alexandria insurance companies. The fastest way to compare insurance prices is simply to get online rate quotes. It's important to know that comparing a large number of companies provides better odds of finding the best offered rates.
The following companies are our best choices to provide free quotes in Virginia. If multiple providers are shown, it's highly recommended you visit several of them to get the cheapest price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$734||$367||$61|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$1,012||$506||$84|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$686||$343||$57|
|Ford F-150 XL Super Cab 4WD||$838||$419||$70|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$850||$425||$71|
|GMC Sierra SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$996||$498||$83|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$572||$286||$48|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$680||$340||$57|
|Honda Civic EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,078||$539||$90|
|Hyundai Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$644||$322||$54|
|Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD||$1,108||$554||$92|
|Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Islander Package 4WD 4-Dr||$806||$403||$67|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$700||$350||$58|
|Nissan Rogue SL AWD||$1,106||$553||$92|
|Toyota Camry LE||$814||$407||$68|
|Toyota Corolla S||$970||$485||$81|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, homeowner, claim-free, and safe-driver. Premium costs do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can affect insurance rates noticeably.
Full coverage rates vs. liability-only in Alexandria
The example below shows the comparison of Honda Pilot car insurance costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The rates are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $100 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are applied.
Honda Pilot rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There isn't a written rule of when to drop full coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let's say your Honda Pilot settlement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $4,000 after the deductible is paid. If it's costing in excess of $400 annually for your policy with full coverage, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some cases where eliminating full coverage is not advised. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Despite the high insurance cost in Alexandria, maintaining insurance is required for several reasons.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, more than likely the lender will require that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you let the policy lapse, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and require you to reimburse them for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your assets and your vehicle. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying car insurance more than cancel out the cost, especially if you ever need it. Today the average American driver is overpaying over $750 every year so shop around each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Save money with these seven premium slashing discounts
Insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you might already qualify for some discounts that many people don't even know exist. Certain reductions will be credited at the time of purchase, but once in a while a discount must be specifically requested before being credited.
- Alexandria Homeowners Pay Less - Owning a house in Alexandria can help you save on insurance since home ownership is proof of financial responsibility.
- Driver Safety - Completing a class that teaches safe driver techniques could cut 5% off your bill and make you a better driver.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Options like air bags could see savings of 20 to 30 percent.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - Insurance companies who offer life insurance give better rates if you take out a life policy as well.
- Save with a New Car - Buying a new car model can save you some money because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Lower Rates for Military - Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Professional Memberships - Having an affiliation with specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a simple method to lower premiums when shopping for insurance.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, companies don't profit that way.
Insurance companies that may offer policyholders some of the above discounts are:
If you need affordable Alexandria car insurance quotes, ask each insurance company how you can save money. Some credits may not apply to policyholders everywhere. To locate companies with discount insurance rates in Virginia, click here.
Compare rates but work with a local Alexandria insurance agency
A small number of people just prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! The biggest benefit of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes but also keep your business local. And supporting local insurance agents is definitely important in Alexandria.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents who want to provide quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won't need to leave your computer as quotes are delivered to you directly. You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to. In the event you want to compare rates from a particular provider, just find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Finding a good company requires you to look at more than just the price. Here are some questions you might want to ask.
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- How are they compensated?
- Do they prorate repair cost based on vehicle mileage?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
Once you have positive feedback as well as a affordable price, it's a good possibility that you have found an provider that is professional and can insure your vehicles. Just be aware that you can terminate your policy for any reason so never feel you're contractually obligated to any specific agency for the full policy term.
Car insurance coverage considerations
Knowing the specifics of car insurance can help you determine appropriate coverage for your vehicles. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance pay for short-term medical expenses such as nursing services, prosthetic devices, chiropractic care and funeral costs. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to all vehicle occupants and will also cover if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other drivers when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle's damage.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Virginia limits are 25/50/20), their limits can quickly be used up. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked. Frequently your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage pays for damage to your vehicle from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage protects against things like driving through your garage door, sustaining damage from a pot hole, hitting a mailbox and rolling your car. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Another option is to increase the deductible to get cheaper collision coverage.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like hitting a bird, hitting a deer, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from flooding. The maximum amount you'll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
This will cover damage that occurs to a person or their property in an accident. Liability coverage has three limits: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see values of 25/50/20 that means you have $25,000 bodily injury coverage, $50,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $20,000. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which provides one coverage limit without having the split limit caps.
Liability can pay for things such as loss of income, medical services, emergency aid, structural damage and legal defense fees. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy as large an amount as possible. Virginia state minimum liability requirements are 25/50/20 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
Affordable rates are available
The cheapest car insurance in Alexandria can be found from both online companies and with local Alexandria insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies may not have online rate quotes and these smaller providers prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
You just read many tips how you can lower your car insurance auto insurance rates in Alexandria. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. You may even be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company.
As you prepare to switch companies, make sure you don't reduce coverage to reduce premium. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice liability limits or collision coverage and discovered at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price.
More tips and info about car insurance is located at these sites:
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Virginia Car Insurance with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Leesburg, Virginia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for 19 Year Olds in Virginia? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Uber Drivers in Virginia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Virginia Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Corolla? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Car Insurance in Portsmouth, Virginia? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates for 17 Year Olds in Virginia? (FAQ)
- Safe Vehicles for Teens (iihs.org)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)