Want to learn how to buy the cheapest car insurance rates in Petersburg, VA? Pretty sure you bought high-priced car insurance? You're preaching to the choir because many Petersburg consumers feel financially strained by their car insurance policy.
Unfortunately, the majority of drivers have remained with the same car insurance company for at least four years, and practically 40% of car insurance customers have never even shopped around for cheaper coverage. Petersburg drivers could pocket almost 45% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they won't spend time to do a rate comparison.
Numerous insurance companies battle for your hard-earned dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare insurance companies to get the best rates possible on car insurance.
It's a great practice to get comparison quotes periodically because prices go up and down regularly. Even if you think you had the lowest rates on car insurance six months ago there may be better deals available now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you're about to learn the fastest and easiest way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
If you have a policy now, you should be able to buy cheaper car insurance using the tips covered below. Buying the cheapest car insurance in Petersburg is easy if you know what you're doing. Nevertheless, Virginia drivers can benefit by having an understanding of how the larger insurance companies compete online because rates are impacted by many factors.
Slash rates with these discounts
Auto insurance can be pricey, but discounts can save money and there are some available to cut the cost considerably. Many discounts should be triggered at the time you complete a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically before they will apply.
- Government Employees - Federal government employees could cut as much as 10% off depending on your auto insurance provider.
- Defensive Driver Discounts - Successfully completing a course in defensive driver could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Forcing all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Include Life Insurance and Save - If the company offers life insurance, you could get a small discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- Good Grades Discount - A discount for being a good student may save as much as 25% on a Petersburg car insurance quote. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
- Homeowners Savings - Being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- Data Collection Discounts - Drivers who elect to allow driving data collection to study vehicle usage by installing a telematics device such as Progressive's Snapshot could possibly reduce rates if their driving habits are good.
- Online Discount - Many companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks shop Petersburg car insurance on the web.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags - Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts as much as 30%.
Don't be surprised that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to individual premiums such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. Despite the appearance that you can get free auto insurance, you won't be that lucky.
A partial list of companies who might offer these money-saving discounts include:
Check with each insurance company how you can save money. Depending on the company, some discounts may not be available in your area. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies offering auto insurance discounts in Petersburg, click here.
Most larger insurance companies allow consumers to get coverage prices online. The process is quite easy as you just enter the coverage amounts you desire on the page. When complete, the quote system gets reports for credit and driving violations and returns a price quote determined by many factors. Getting online rates makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it's absolutely necessary to get many rate quotes in order to find the lowest payment possible.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, compare rates now from the companies shown below. If you have a policy now, it's recommended you type in your coverages exactly as shown on your declarations page. This ensures you will get a fair comparison for the exact same coverage.
The following companies are ready to provide price quotes in Virginia. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you compare several of them to get the cheapest price.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$790||$395||$66|
|Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$822||$411||$69|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$652||$326||$54|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$652||$326||$54|
|Ford Explorer XLT AWD||$926||$463||$77|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Super Cab 4WD||$1,030||$515||$86|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,002||$501||$84|
|Honda Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,018||$509||$85|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$652||$326||$54|
|Honda Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$950||$475||$79|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L W/Rear Entertainment||$628||$314||$52|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$798||$399||$67|
|Jeep Wrangler Sport 4WD 2-Dr||$594||$297||$50|
|Mazda 3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$850||$425||$71|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$676||$338||$56|
|Nissan Rogue S AWD||$946||$473||$79|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$720||$360||$60|
|Toyota Corolla S||$944||$472||$79|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$886||$443||$74|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, and claim-free. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location information which can raise or lower auto insurance rates significantly.
Impact of citations and accidents on Petersburg insurance rates
The diagram below illustrates how speeding tickets and accidents can influence Toyota Camry premium costs for different age groups of insureds. The premiums are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are factored in.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Gender-based car insurance rates
The example below illustrates the comparison of car insurance costs for male and female drivers in Petersburg. The costs are based on no claims or violations, full physical damage coverage, $100 deductibles, single marital status, and no other discounts are factored in on a Nissan Sentra 2.0 SL.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Why you might pay higher rates in Petersburg
An important part of buying insurance is that you know a few of the rating criteria that play a part in calculating your premiums. If you have a feel for what impacts premium levels, this allows you to make educated decisions that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
The factors shown below are some of the things used by your company to calculate prices.
- Don't buy add-on coverages that may not be needed - There are a lot of additional extra coverages that can waste your money on your car insurance policy. Add-on coverages like replacement cost coverage, towing coverage, and extra equipment coverage may be costing you every month. The coverages may be enticing when you first buy your policy, but if you've never needed them in the past get rid of them and save.
- Liability coverage - Liability coverage is the protection if ever you are found liable for damages from an accident. It will provide you with a defense in court up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to other policy coverages, so do not skimp.
- Influences performance influences premiums - The performance of the car you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in determining your rates. The best insurance prices will generally be found on lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Prices are affected by your address - Residing in areas with lower population may provide you with better prices if you are looking for the lowest rates. Lower population translates into fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims People who live in big cities regularly have more road rage incidents and more severe claims. Longer commute distances can result in more accidents.
- Fewer miles means better prices - The more you drive in a year's time the more it will cost to insure it. A lot of companies rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Autos that are left in the garage receive better premium rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. It's a good idea to make sure your car insurance declarations sheet reflects annual mileage.
- Bad drivers pay high prices - Attentive drivers pay lower auto insurance prices than their less careful counterparts. Just one moving violation can bump up the cost by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who have gotten flagrant tickets like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may need to complete a SR-22 with their state's department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive.
- Rates can drop if you have more than one policy - Many insurance companies give a discount to clients who have multiple policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to as much as ten percent or more Even with this discount, you still need to shop around to guarantee you are still saving the most. Drivers may still save money even if you have your coverage with different companies
- Vehicle theft costs us all - Choosing to buy a car with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Systems that thwart theives such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all help stop auto theft.
What if I want to buy from local Petersburg car insurance agents?
A lot of people still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that is a smart decision A nice benefit of price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get cheaper rates but also keep your business local.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Petersburg who will give you quotes to get your business. You never need to drive around as quotes are delivered to you directly. You can most likely find cheaper rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you need to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Deciding on a company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Is there a local claims center in Petersburg?
- Does their agency support local causes in Petersburg?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
When looking for a local insurance agency, it's helpful to know the different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agencies in Petersburg are categorized either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive write business for a single company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide prices from multiple companies so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive insurance agents are usually well trained on their company's products and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent are not locked into one company so they can quote policies with an assortment of companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, an independent agent can move your coverage and the insured can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing insurance prices, you definitely need to include price quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison.
Car insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Petersburg, maintaining insurance serves an important purpose.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, almost all lenders will force you to carry insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender may insure your vehicle for a lot more money and force you to pay for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects both your assets and your car. It will also cover medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, your car insurance policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. The average driver in America overpays more than $700 annually so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Cheap insurance in Petersburg can be sourced both online and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies may not offer the ability to get quotes online and usually these small insurance companies sell through independent insurance agents.
When you buy Petersburg car insurance online, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price.
Additional detailed information can be found in the articles below:
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Ashburn, Virginia? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a GMC Sierra in Virginia? (FAQ)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)