Has it been a year or more since you last compared quotes for low-cost car insurance rates in Virginia Beach, VA? Virginia Beach buyers have a choice when searching for the lowest priced Honda Accord insurance. They can either waste time struggling with agents to get rate comparisons or use the internet to compare rates. There are both good and bad ways to find car insurance online so we're going to tell you the best way to compare rates on a Honda and find the best price possible either online or from Virginia Beach insurance agents.
Statistics show that most car insurance customers kept buying from the same company for over three years, and almost half have never even shopped around for cheap coverage. Consumers in Virginia could save themselves as much as 45% a year just by comparing rates, but they don't want to take the time to compare rates online.
Smart Choices Result in Lower Insurance Prices
Many things are used when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense such as your driving history, but others are more transparent such as your credit history or your commute time. Part of the insurance buying process is learning the rating factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for insurance. When you understand what determines base rates, this enables you to make decisions that may result in lower insurance prices.
The items below are a partial list of the pieces utilized by car insurance companies to help set prices.
- Increase coverage deductibles to save - Physical damage protection, also called 'full coverage', covers damage that occurs to your Honda. Some examples of claims that would be covered are a dented fender, flood damage, and windstorm damage. The deductibles you choose state the amount of money you are required to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The more damage repair cost the insured has to pay upfront, the less money you will pay for insurance.
- Getting married pays dividends - Walking down the aisle may earn you lower rates on your insurance policy. It demonstrates that you tend to be more stable financially and insurance companies reward insureds because married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Performance makes a difference - The type of car you are buying insurance for makes a big difference in determining your rates. The best insurance prices tend to be for lower performance four cylinder passenger models, but your final cost has many other factors. Because the Honda Accord is considered a passenger car, insuring your vehicle will cost similar in price or lower as compared to the average rate in Virginia Beach.
- Add-on coverages that may not be needed - There are a ton of add-on coverages you can purchase on your Accord policy. Coverages for rental car coverage, death and dismemberment, and membership fees could be just wasting money. They may seem like a good idea when you first buy your policy, but if you've never needed them in the past eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Demanding job may mean higher rates - Careers like lawyers, social workers and medical professionals generally have higher premium rates because of job stress and lots of time spent away from family. On the other hand, jobs like farmers, historians and homemakers get better rates.
- Honda Accord insurance loss statistics - Auto insurance companies analyze the history of losses to determine a price that will be profitable for them. Vehicles that the data shows to have increased losses will be charged more to insure.
The next table shows the actual insurance loss data for Honda Accord vehicles. For each type of coverage, the claim probability for all vehicles as a whole is a value of 100. Values that are 100 or less represent a good loss history, while numbers shown that are more than 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or an increased chance of larger losses than average.
Honda Accord Insurance Claim Statistics
Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Honda Accord 91 85 90 122 117 94 Honda Accord Hybrid 96 80 98 89 76 84 Honda Accord Crosstour 4dr 2WD 85 97 83 122 113 94 Honda Accord Crosstour 4dr 4WD 99 102 94 120 93
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Cutting your Virginia Beach auto insurance rates doesn't have to be difficult. Drivers just need to spend a little time to compare rates provided by online insurance companies.
The auto insurance companies shown below offer free rate quotes in Virginia Beach, VA. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you compare several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$136||$250||$284||$16||$86||$772||$64|
|Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$220||$328||$286||$16||$86||$936||$78|
|Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$148||$270||$230||$14||$68||$730||$61|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$110||$188||$210||$12||$62||$582||$49|
|Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$82||$144||$206||$12||$62||$506||$42|
|Accord EX-L 4-Dr Sedan||$192||$328||$224||$14||$66||$824||$69|
|Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$140||$328||$328||$20||$98||$914||$76|
|Accord LX-S 2-Dr Coupe||$190||$486||$328||$20||$98||$1,122||$94|
|Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$140||$264||$274||$16||$82||$776||$65|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data rating is based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Virginia minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in specific zip code location which can decrease or increase premiums noticeably.
Rate comparison of males versus females in Virginia Beach
The example below illustrates the comparison of Honda Accord annual premium costs for male and female drivers. The information is based on no violations or accidents, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Drive safe and save
The diagram below illustrates how speeding tickets and at-fault collisions raise Honda Accord insurance premiums for different age groups of insureds. The rate quotes are based on a married male driver, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Does full coverage make sense?
The illustration below examines Honda Accord yearly insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the Virginia minimum liability coverage. The rates are based on no violations or claims, $250 deductibles, married male driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
When to stop buying comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no exact formula of when to phase out full coverage on your policy, but there is a general convention. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than about 10% of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Honda Accord book value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is damaged in an accident, the most you would get paid by your company is $2,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If it's costing you more than $200 a year for full coverage, then it might be time to buy liability only.
There are some cases where removing full coverage is not a good idea. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you are required to maintain full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should keep full coverage on your policy.
Why you need insurance for your Honda vehicle
Even though it's not necessarily cheap to insure a Honda in Virginia Beach, insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
First, just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In Virginia these limits are 25/50/20 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $20,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Accord has a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will require you to have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Honda for a lot more money and force you to reimburse them the higher price.
Third, insurance protects both your car and your personal assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays expenses related to your legal defense if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your Honda gets damaged, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance greatly outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. The average driver in Virginia is wasting up to $865 each year so you should quote your policy with other companies each time the policy renews to ensure rates are competitive.
Cut your car insurance rates with discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don't list all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find some of the more common and also the more inconspicuous discounts you could be receiving when you buy Virginia Beach car insurance online.
- Onboard Data Collection - Insureds that choose to allow data collection to look at driving patterns by using a telematic data system like In-Drive from State Farm and Progressive's Snapshot could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
- Buy New and Save - Insuring a vehicle that is new can save you some money because new model year vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Early Payment Discounts - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Lower Rates for Military - Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower car insurance rates.
- Professional Memberships - Participating in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations is a good way to get lower rates when shopping for car insurance.
- Distant Student - Any of your kids who attend college more than 100 miles from Virginia Beach and leave their car at home could get you a discount.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives - Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% off the PIP or medical payment premium.
A quick disclaimer, most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
A list of companies and their offered discounts include:
- Farm Bureau has discounts for driver training, 55 and retired, youthful driver, multi-vehicle, safe driver, multi-policy, and renewal discount.
- State Farm has savings for good driver, driver's education, passive restraint, safe vehicle, and good student.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, homeowner, and online quote discount.
- Allstate offers discounts for eSmart discount, resident student, farm vehicle, economy car, and good student.
- Nationwide includes discounts for anti-theft, business or organization, family plan, defensive driving, accident-free, good student, and easy pay.
- MetLife may offer discounts for accident-free, multi-policy, defensive driver, good driver, claim-free, and good student.
If you need cheaper Virginia Beach car insurance quotes, ask each company which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts might not apply in Virginia Beach. To see a list of insurance companies with the best discounts in Virginia, click here.
Buying auto insurance from Virginia Beach insurance agencies
Many drivers would prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and doing that can be a smart decision Good agents are highly skilled in risk management and give you someone to call. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that you can find cheaper prices and still buy from a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), the quote information is emailed to local insurance agents in Virginia Beach who will give competitive quotes to get your business. There is no need to visit any agencies due to the fact that quote results will go instantly to you. In the event you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, don't hesitate to visit that company's website to submit a rate quote request.
Deciding on an company requires more thought than just the quoted price. Any agent in Virginia Beach should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- What discounts might you be missing?
- How are claims handled?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
Choose an insurance agent wisely
When finding a reliable insurance agency, there are two types of agencies from which to choose. Auto insurance agencies are either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Either one can handle auto insurance, but it's worth learning how they are different since it can affect which agent you choose.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents can only place business with one company such as AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so you might not find the best rates. They receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. A lot of people choose to use a exclusive agent mostly because of the brand legacy and strong financial ratings.
Below are exclusive insurance agencies in Virginia Beach who may provide you with comparison quotes.
- Jane Peak - State Farm Insurance Agent
315 N Great Neck Rd #220 - Virginia Beach, VA 23454 - (757) 340-8060 - View Map
- Michael Weeks - State Farm Insurance Agent
Shopping Ctr Ste 103, 979 Chimney Hill Pkwy - Virginia Beach, VA 23452 - (757) 463-2400 - View Map
- John White State Farm??
1776 Princess Anne Rd - Virginia Beach, VA 23456 - (757) 426-2886 - View Map
Independent agents are normally appointed by many insurers and that allows them to write policies through many companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally and you don't have to do anything. When comparing rate quotes, you definitely need to get some free quotes from a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection. Most independent agents also contract with smaller regional carriers which may have better rates.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Virginia Beach who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Toby Leffel Insurance Agency
921 First Colonial Road #1703 - Virginia Beach, VA 23454 - (757) 481-9105 - View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Matthew Clifton Roenker Agency
4870 Haygood Rd Ste 108 - Virginia Beach, VA 23455 - (757) 671-1111 - View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: The Braun Agency Inc
6062 Indian River Rd Ste 101 - Virginia Beach, VA 23464 - (757) 420-2060 - View Map
You just read many tips how you can lower your Honda Accord insurance prices in Virginia Beach. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
Some companies may not provide the ability to get quotes online and these regional carriers work with independent insurance agents. Budget-conscious Honda Accord insurance can be purchased online in addition to many Virginia Beach insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection.
People change insurance companies for many reasons like an unsatisfactory settlement offer, extreme rates for teen drivers, being labeled a high risk driver or not issuing a premium refund. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new company can be pretty painless.
More information is available on the following sites: